Applications due Friday July 20
The Physics Room Artists Alliance Intern
The Artists Alliance Internship Programme 2018 is now calling for applications from recent visual arts/art history graduates for a fixed term, paid internship with The Physics Room. The aim of the programme is to provide a valuable opportunity for graduates to obtain significant work experience in the arts industry. The programme has been made possible with generous funding from Rata Foundation.
Access Co-ordinator Internship Position Description
The Physics Room is an internationally recognised contemporary art space dedicated to developing contemporary art and critical discourse in Aotearoa New Zealand.
At the beginning of 2018, The Physics Room shifted its operational model and its physical site. At the core of these organisational changes was a desire to increase access to the practitioners and work The Physics Room supports and raise our level of visibility within the wider Ōtautahi community.
In establishing these organisational changes, we acknowledge access as a cornerstone of our organisation and, accordingly, the responsibilities of the internship will be integrated across a few key areas of our current activities. The Access Co-ordinator Intern will work closely with the Director and the Assistant Curator and utilise The Physics Room’s Audience Development Strategy to play a key role in the successful development and delivery of inclusive and expansive public programme events with the goal of building new and developing existing audiences.
The organisational changes we’ve implemented in 2018 reflect our belief that the exhibitions, events, and publications we present should be widely accessible. A key feature of the new location is our expanded foot traffic/audience and the Access Co-ordinator Internship will work in this area to develop our audience interfaces that introduce new visitors to the gallery, as well as continuing to ensure the expectations of our existing audience are met and exceeded.
- The Physics Room Director, Assistant Curator, Office Manager, Publication and Writing Co-ordinator, Gallery Volunteers
- Artists Alliance
- Contemporary artists and arts professionals
- Select stakeholders, collaborators, and partners
- Audience members
Audience Development & Public Programming
- Utilise The Physics Room’s existing Audience Development strategy to target audiences and develop pertinent public programmes
- Support, develop, and manage a range of public programme activities that extend our exhibitions (and run parallel to them)
- Provide introductory material and present talks or workshops when required
- Support audience hosting and exhibition interpretation within the gallery space through development of recommended reading lists, printed materials, and other didactic and interpretive materials
- Co-ordinate and assist with events and performances ensuring timelines are developed and followed, contracts when needed are used
- Support other staff with projects when required
- Staff the gallery space as required
- Support Director and Assistant Curator with editing of texts and publicity writing
- Ensure that publicity and promotional materials are used to reach new audiences and develop existing audiences
- Ensure content for events listings is written on time
- Engage in targeted social media activities in reference to The Physics Room’s Digital Strategy
Desired Skills & Competencies:
- Shows an awareness of, and commitment to, the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- A relevant New Zealand visual arts/art history qualification
- Interest in and knowledge of contemporary art
- Ability to write in a clear and accessible manner
- Familiarity with social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter
- Interest in public programming and audience development
- Ability to research and develop programming proposals
- Excellent communication skills
This position is 28 hrs/week 18-week fixed term contract and will sometimes include after hours and weekend work.
The preferred start date is August 20, 2018. End date December 21, 2018.
To apply please submit a current CV and a cover letter outlining your interest in the role and experience by sending to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the email subject line.
The deadline for applications is July 20, 2018
Interviews will be scheduled to take place at The Physics Room, Christchurch on July 25, 2018
Date(s) - 26/06/2018 - 20/07/2018