Applications due before 10.30pm Sunday March 4
Casual Gallery Technicians, Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki
Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki is the wharenui (home) of visual arts in New Zealand and an internationally recognised award-winning institution.
They are a catalyst for art and ideas that strengthen and enrich our communities. As kaitiaki (custodians) of art, Auckland Art Gallery care for and conserve our collections, and create new avenues of access. Installing and handling valuable artworks is a specialised role and we’re looking for people with the right combination of passion and hands-on skills to join us.
As a Gallery Technician, you will be involved with all aspects of installing and maintaining exhibitions at the Auckland Art Gallery, as well as assisting with the packing, movement and storage of loaned and collection artworks.
Working alongside collections staff, curators and artists on an ambitious programme, you’ll help ensure international museum standards are maintained and all tasks align with conservation, insurance, and health and safety requirements. To fit in with our team you’ll take pride in your work, be flexible, and enjoy working with a committed group of people.
To thrive in this role, you will have:
- Relevant practical and technical experience working in a creative environment
- An active interest in art & design
- Current NZ driver’s licence with no restrictions and comfortable driving a manual delivery van or utility vehicle
- Knowledge of relevant NZ Health and Safety practices, preferably with a current Site Safe Building Construction Passport
You will also be eager to acquire new skills, as plenty of training will be provided to the right person, be calm under pressure and have an organised, methodical approach to tasks, with the ability to prioritise and seek out advice or help when needed.
You may also have other specific skills or experience such as:
- Joinery and furniture production
- Installation and configuration of a broad range of audio visual equipment
- Interior painting, surface restoration and refinishing
- Basic understanding of CAD applications such as AutoCAD, REVIT and SketchUp
- Display lighting and familiarity with relevant electrical and conservation constraints
There are currently multiple casual roles available. These are working as and when required. Although we can not guarantee the same number of hours each week, our casual staff are normally required for an average of 20-25 hours per week. These hours are predominantly Monday to Friday, however, flexibility will be required as, although rare, there may be the need to work weekends when required.
If you have the required skills, make the most of this rare and sought after opportunity by applying online by 10:30pm, Sunday 4 March 2018.
For more information please go to the Auckland Council Careers website
Please note this position is deemed a safety sensitive position and will require pre-employment drug testing.
Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tamaki
Date(s) - 01/02/2018 - 04/03/2018