Submissions due by Monday May 7
Toi Pōneke is calling for proposals from visual artists for our 2018 Visual Arts Residency. We are looking for applications from Wellington-based artists. This 12 week residency culminates in the exhibition of a new body of work at Toi Pōneke Gallery in October 2018.
The aim of this residency is to support an artist to develop a body of work and provide them with resources to dedicate themselves to their work full time. We aim for the artist-in-residence to gain experience installing a solo exhibition of their work at Toi Pōneke Gallery in October/November 2018.
Shortlisted candidates may be invited to an interview with Toi Pōneke staff before a final decision is made. At the completion of the residency the successful candidate will be required to provide a report and feedback.
What’s on Offer
- Toi Pōneke will provide the candidate with a studio space for 12 weeks with 24/7 access
- A 4 week exhibition at Toi Pōneke Gallery this includes pack in & pack out (3.5 weeks open to the public)
- Promotion of the candidate’s exhibition and associated activities
- A stipend during the 12-week residency
- Some technical and hosting support for the exhibition
- Available only to Wellington-based New Zealand citizens or permanent residents (resides in Wellington)
- Applicants must be emerging artists
- Artists must be able to commit to this residency full time (spend at least 40 hours a week at Toi Pōneke) and install their own exhibition
Students or artists within one year of finishing under-graduate study are not eligible to apply
- Applicants recently graduated from a Post Graduate course are eligible to apply
- Employees and family members of the employer Wellington City Council are not eligible to apply
- Submissions due by 7 May 2018
- Successful artist announced mid May 2018
- Residency commences 9 July 2018
- Exhibition dates: 15 October – 11 November 2018
This Residency has the outcome of an exhibition at Toi Pōneke Gallery.
Dates are non-negotiable.
- Install: October 15 – 18
- Opening: 5:30pm Thursday October 18 or 5.30pm Friday October 19
- Exhibition Dates: October 19 – November 10
- De-install: November 11
Your Application should comprise of:
- Application Form
- 2 page Visual Arts Resume
- Minimum of 10 images of recent work A5 size, with captions and a short description if necessary
- Please provide links to any relevant documentation (e.g. website, vimeo/Youtube channel, articles or papers about work, exhibitions, publications, etc.)
Terms and conditions
Successful applicants will be required to
- Sign the Toi Pōneke – Visual Arts Residency Agreement;
- Agree to the Toi Pōneke Arts Centre Terms and Conditions;
- Complete a Toi Pōneke Arts Centre Artist Studio Application;
- Agree to the Toi Pōneke Arts Centre Artist Studio Agreement.
Toi Poneke Arts Centre
Date(s) - 11/04/2018 - 07/05/2018