The Artists Alliance Mentoring Programme 2018 is now calling for applications from recent graduates. The aim of the programme is to provide a valuable opportunity for emerging artists to focus on their career with the help of an experienced mentor. The programme has been made possible with generous funding from Foundation North.
Mentors will provide advice and guidance in the following ways:
• Providing advice about professional practice
• By helping to develop the skills needed for effective networking and approaching curators in public institutions and dealers in private galleries
• Assisting with the completion of applications and proposals for exhibition involvement.
• Giving an open dialogue and practical direction for discussing ideas
• Giving mentees the confidence to pursue a career in the visual arts once they have left the supportive structure of the art school environment
In addition to the twenty hours of guidance from each mentor, each mentee accepted onto the Mentoring Programme will receive a complimentary membership to Artists Alliance for the year (valued at $84).
Mentor Pool – Who is guiding the future of New Zealand Art?
The Artists Alliance Mentoring Programme has a large pool of mentors to draw on which means each accepted mentee will be appropriately matched with the best arts practitioner in terms of what the mentee wishes to achieve. The programme will take into consideration (but is not limited to); the medium they work in, the networks they are hoping to develop; and where they would like to situate themselves within the art world both in New Zealand and internationally.
• Due to the funding requirements and for the purposes of this Mentoring Programme, those eligible to apply will need to have graduated within the past five years (2013 – 2017) from any New Zealand tertiary institution with a visual arts qualification
• Applicants must be based in Auckland for the duration of the programme
• Applicants must be available to commit fully in both time and energy to the programme throughout 2018
• Applicants must not be partaking in any form of study in 2018
Deadline for Applications
Applications must be completed in full and returned in PDF format to Artists Alliance. The deadline has been extended to 5pm, Friday November 24, 2017.
What is Artists Alliance?
Artists Alliance is the national organisation for visual artists. Established in 1991, Artists Alliance has represented and advanced the professional interests of the visual artists of Aotearoa/New Zealand for over 25 years. In providing resources, career advice, networks and advocacy Artists Alliance is the trusted source of information for the visual arts sector. To learn more go to the About Page.
Artists Alliance is a not-for-profit organisation which receives valuable income from their members and other stakeholders. The Mentoring Programme is funded by Foundation North.
Date(s) - 03/10/2017 - 24/11/2017